Tuesday, October 14, 2014

52 Week Challenge: Matte 60s Flower Power

Hello lovelies!

Today is the last day of my long weekend. Meh, so sad! I guess it's not too bad since I only have two days of classes but one of those days starts at 7:45 am and I have to give a presentation...Blah, at least today's nail art is cute!

So, onto the nails!
nails, nail art, nail polish, 60s, flowers, floral, flower power, hey darling polish, 52 week challenge, retro, vintage

I need to start painting more floral designs because even in weird color combinations, they still look good!




nails, nail art, nail polish, 60s, flowers, floral, flower power, hey darling polish, 52 week challenge, retro, vintage

Here's what I used:

Today's nail art was supposed to be inspired by the 60's and I think that's what I did? Most of the patterns that come up for the 60's and the 70's look the same on Pinterest, but I found this vintage fabric from this Etsy shop and painted that. It says 60's on it so I'm going with it!

nails, nail art, nail polish, 60s, flowers, floral, flower power, hey darling polish, 52 week challenge, retro, vintage

These nails started with three coats of Mango and a layer of HK Girl. Then using the acrylic paints, I mixed the colors I needed, and painted on the flowers. I started with the red flowers, followed by the orange ones, then the yellow, and finally the blue.  Everything was sealed in with another layer of HK Girl to smooth the design and then I added a layer of Cult Nails Wax That (not pictured) to make it matte. 

nails, nail art, nail polish, 60s, flowers, floral, flower power, hey darling polish, 52 week challenge, retro, vintage

This is such an odd color combination but I actually really like it! The flowers could use some work but I like how bold they look. What do you guys think, would you rock the 60's look?


Thanks for reading!

-Marisa! (:







26 comments:

  1. Nice matte floral nails these are! Reminds me that I don't do a lot of matte manicures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the base! Those fugly colours really call on me. The flowers are so pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at matte and 60's...love this! Super retro and sassy. The colors totally work together! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! They do look retro, love your freehand flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very retro feel! Love that it looks like a Fall mani, but still has bright hues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute and totally has a retro vibe! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. So kitschy! I love the base color, NEED it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that base color! I've been wanting to find one like that! Kind of a mustard, ugly-pretty polish! Love the whole look! the flowers are very fall appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your florals! And I did rock a '60s look this weekend when I did my mani (will go up tomorrow).

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Dalai Lama's NailsOctober 15, 2014 at 11:24 AM

    so floral and fun - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how this turned out, great colours for fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I felt the same way after I finished these! My poor matte topcoat is so neglected!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's definitely unique and I'm happy to have it in my collection. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are absolutely adorable! I love the retro vibe, it makes me wish I was alive in the 70's.

    ReplyDelete