Saturday, October 4, 2014

Black Dahlia Lacquer Nail Art

Hello lovelies!

I'm back today with the nail art that I did over the polishes I reviewed yesterday from Black Dahlia Lacquer! If you're looking for swatches or purchasing information, you can check out my review post here.

Onto the nails!




nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish, blood roses, wine berry, pattern

I'm going to post the designs in the order that I posted the swatches yesterday, so first up is Blood Roses! I immediately went to my pattern board for all of today's nail art. This nail art is my recreation of this pattern by Ashley Goldberg

nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish, blood roses, wine berry, pattern

These nails started with two coats of Blood Rose and a layer of topcoat. Then using acrylic paint and some detail brushes, I freehanded on the pink petal shapes followed by the red dots. Everything was sealed in with another layer of HK Girl. The final look is kind of funky but I like it!

nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish, blood roses, wine berry, pattern

Next up is some nail art done over African Violets!

african violets, lavender, lines, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

This was my favorite polish of the group and adding the nail art over the top made it like ten times better in my opinion! These nails were inspired by this oil and wax painting, at least I think you would paint with those two things...I don't know, I've never tried that before....but it's by Holger Lippmann!

african violets, lavender, lines, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

I started these nails with two coats of African Violet and a layer of HK Girl. I used my thin striping brush to paint the horizontal lines on. This design was nice because the lines could be wavy so you're given a bit of leeway with the stripes. I really liked this design and I really want to recreate it soon and wear as a full manicure!

african violets, lavender, lines, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

Next up is Olaf's Snowflowers!

lines, blue, olaf's snowflowers, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

Okay, I really didn't want to put nail art over this but since I was putting nail art with all of the polishes, it had to happen. I decided to go for another Ashley Goldberg pattern because this one has been pinned on my inspiration board for so long! 

lines, blue, olaf's snowflowers, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

I feel like I'm being redundant now, but these nails started with two coats of Olaf's Snowflower. Then using my dark blue acrylic paint and small striping brush, I added the lines. I found it easier to paint the horizontal line segments first and then add the connecting diagonal. Unfortunately, my acrylic paint didn't want to stick to polish surface so most of lines are really sloppy looking /:

lines, blue, olaf's snowflowers, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

Next up is Silver Willow!

silver willow, blue, silver, holo, pattern, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

I couldn't decide if I wanted to pair this polish with white or black accents so I figured I would go with both to get the best of both worlds! I came across this wall covering by Kelly Wearstler and painted these fun, little jagged blobs on my nails!

silver willow, blue, silver, holo, pattern, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

Again, these started with two coats of Silver Willow. I used my small detail brush to add the little jagged white lines on and then went back in with the black to create the blob shapes. This design was really quick and simple to do and I think I want to try experimenting with this more because I think it could be interesting!

silver willow, blue, silver, holo, pattern, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

Now, onto the polishes from the Halloween duo!
flowers, flor de muerto, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

I actually had no idea what Flor De Muerto meant until like 5 minutes ago or at least I think I know what it means....Flower of the Dead? Right, right? Maybe, I took Italian in high school. But my decision to paint flowers came before I realized what the title was. I've been going back through my own archives here on the blog and trying to find inspiration from designs I've already done. So these nails are based off of some of the nails I did for The Nail Challenge Collaborative's tea party theme!

flowers, flor de muerto, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

These nails started with two coats of Flor De Muerto and a layer of topcoat. I then painted the flower shape on with white acrylic paint and went back over that with Blood Roses. I was nervous about Blood Roses being opaque enough on its own so I was hoping that the acrylic paint would help with that. It doesn't really matter though because the two polishes are so similar that you can hardly see the flowers haha!
flowers, flor de muerto, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

Last up is the nail art done over Queen Of The Night!
grey, dark charcoal grey, pattern, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

This design was inspired by this pattern created by Leah Reena Goren. She has some really cute illustrations and patterns on her site so here's another designer to check out!

grey, dark charcoal grey, pattern, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

One last time! These nails started with two coats of Queen Of The Night and a layer of HK Girl. Then using my white acrylic paint and my detail brush, I painted the design on. I don't know how I feel about these. The pattern reminds me of a Christmas sweater and I put it over a Halloween polish.....so, yeah, not sure on this one....

grey, dark charcoal grey, pattern, nails, nail art, nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer, indie polish

Hopefully you guys enjoyed these nail art looks! Remember that if you're looking for swatches or purchasing information, check out yesterday's post or go to the links below:


Thanks for reading guys!

-Marisa! (:







13 comments:

  1. Love all the different nail art you created!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much art!! Awesome! :) I think the look you did on Blood Rose the best, that's exactly the type of look I picture when I think of your style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melina ComotepintasteOctober 4, 2014 at 8:51 PM

    Lovely stripes!!! Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So many nail art look in one post! I really like the second one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief woman! So much nail art in one post! I have to say my fave is Blood Roses because it reminds me of pomegranates! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know haha. I might have gone a little overboard! And aww, thank you (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. No bad! All good! Maybe I'm just a slacker that can't do 6 nail looks in one post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like blood roses most... and do you ever sleep? The amount of mani's you make is insane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lmfao I sleep!...sometimes....I stay up really late because I have trouble sleeping and too much school work, so I'm normally running on empty during the week but on the weekends is when I get most of my nail art done!

    ReplyDelete