Friday, October 3, 2014

New To Me Indie: Black Dahlia Lacquer - Assortment

Hello lovelies!

I'm super excited about today's post because not only do I get to tell you guys about a "new-to-me" indie brand but I get to tell you about an indie brand that is totally new. Like so new that their store just launched today! I have some polishes from their Fall 2014 Collcetion and their Halloween duo, so let's get to the swatches!

*This post will be very photo heavy
**All swatches shown with one layer of HK Girl





I'll start off the post review with the polishes from the Fall 2014 Collection!

blood roses, wine berry, oxblood, creme, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

First up is Blood Roses, which is a wine berry/oxblood creme polish that took two coats to reach full opacity. This polish's formula was fantastic and it was super easy to apply. I also found that this dried pretty quickly without the help of a quick dry topcoat!

blood roses, wine berry, oxblood, creme, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

This isn't a polish color that I would normally reach for but I really like this polish! I think this polish will be perfect for the upcoming Fall weather and would be a great base for some Autumn inspired nail art. 

blood roses, wine berry, oxblood, creme, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

Next up is African Violets!
lavender, african violets, shimmer, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

African Violets is a lavender polish that has a silver shimmer that gives off a slight holo flash when in direct light. I applied two coats for these photos but I think I probably could have used a third because there are some spots where it looks a bit patchy. Again, the formula of this polish was great and I had no troubles applying it.

lavender, african violets, shimmer, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

I adore this polish....and when I say adore, I mean, like I'm in love. When I saw this in the bottle, I wasn't all that impressed but then I wore it for a day and I couldn't stop looking at it. It's a really soft color that looks lovely in all lights and when it's in direct sunlight, it has a little extra oomph from the holo shimmer. Expect to see this on the blog a lot!

lavender, african violets, shimmer, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

I'm including a photo I took with direct light but this doesn't compare to what the polish looks like in the sun. It's beautiful!


Next up is Olaf's Snowflowers!
cream, white, olaf's snowflower, gold, glitter, glitter crelly, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

This polish is a grey-leaning cream, (I don't even know if that's possible but I'm going with it) glitter crelly that is jam packed with gold, silver, and holographic glitters. This polish was thicker than the rest but the glitters were perfectly suspended and I only needed two coats to reach these opacity.

cream, white, olaf's snowflower, gold, glitter, glitter crelly, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

This is another one of my favorites from the collection! This one caught my eye in the bottle and it looks absolutely lovely when on. I normally find white/lighter based crellies to be difficult to apply or they don't reach opacity but this one built up nicely. I think the amount of glitter helps with that because this is so full of sparkles!

cream, white, olaf's snowflower, gold, glitter, glitter crelly, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

Last up for the Fall 2014 Collection is Silver Willow!

blue, silver blue, silver willow, holo, holographic, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

Silver Willow is a silver-y blue holo that appears to have some purple shimmer in it. I used two coats for my swatches and the holo wasn't dulled with a layer of HK Girl. This polish applied really well and you might even be able to get away with one coat if you're careful. I did find this to try a little slower than the rest but that could just have been me being impatient....whoops!

blue, silver blue, silver willow, holo, holographic, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

This is another really pretty polish! When I saw this in the bottle, I assumed that this would be my favorite. It's up there as one of my favorites (I'm wearing it as I type this) but I like African Violets won out in the end. The holo in this polish is crazy though, my photos are not doing it justice at all!

blue, silver blue, silver willow, holo, holographic, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

Here's a direct light shot:
blue, silver blue, silver willow, holo, holographic, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

These last two polishes are from their limited edition Halloween collection. First is Flor De Muerto!

flor de muerto, purple, plum, glitter, halloween, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

Flor De Muerto is a plum colored polish with a blackened based that is filled with glitter, shimmer, and little flakies! Again, I thought this polish was easy to apply and only needed two coats for to reach opacity. I do recommend being careful not to get this one on your cuticles though because all of the glitters and shimmer are a little tougher to clean off.

flor de muerto, purple, plum, glitter, halloween, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

This polish has sparkles to the max! Glitter, shimmer, and flakies? Yeah, I know. I think this is a great polish for Halloween!

flor de muerto, purple, plum, glitter, halloween, nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,

Last up is Queen Of The Night!
nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,  queen of the night, grey, holo, halloween

Queen Of The Night is a dark, charcoal grey polish filled with silver shimmer. I used two coats for my swatches which both dried really quickly. Like most of the polishes above, the formula on this was great and it was easy to apply.

nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,  queen of the night, grey, holo, halloween

This polish does have a slight holographic-like effect going. I don't know what to call it because it doesn't look like holographic glitter. The makers described this as a prismatic polish, so I'm just going to agree with them haha!

nails, nail polish, indie polish, indie nail polish, hey darling polish, black dahlia lacquer,  queen of the night, grey, holo, halloween

Here are some macros:




I was really impressed with everything about this brand especially for just opening up shop! The level of professionalism from the owners was incredible and I can only imagine how great they'll be customer service wise. The polish labels and bottles look fantastic. And the polishes themselves were great, I found one of the polishes to be a little thick but it wasn't a hassle to work with. I think that they're off to great start and I can't wait to see where this brand goes!

Now time for some purchasing information. Black Dahlia Lacquer opened their shop today with three collections which include the Fall 2014 Collection, The Essentials Collection, and the Hanging On To Summer Collection. The polishes range from $6-$6.75 for a 8mL petite bottle or $9.50-$10.75 for a 14mL full sized bottle. I received the petite sized bottles from this brand and I wish all "mini" bottles were like these because the bottles are still a decent size and brush is the same as the one in their full size bottles. The Halloween Duo was set to launch October 10th, but I think I saw on Facebook that they are going to be going live soon? 

Also, if you use the code OFFICIALLAUNCH you can get 10% off your order up until October 10th! Go get some polish! Here are some links:


Check back tomorrow for some nail art!

-Marisa! (:














19 comments:

  1. I think Silver Willow has stolen my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they?! They created some awesome polishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wearing that right now still! It's so sparkly in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great swatches!!! Silver Willow is my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. African Violets, and Silver Willow are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olaf's Snowflowers is so unique and gorgeous, I love it! Great swatches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving Silver Willow and I'm always a sucker for duos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great collection! I love Flor De Muerto.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love African Violets! Olaf's Snowflower is really pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's limited edition, so go pick it up soon! (:

    ReplyDelete