Friday, December 12, 2014

Indie Fridays: KBShimmer - Sugar Plum Faerie + Mauve On Over

Hello lovelies!

It's Friday and I actually have an Indie Fridays post for you guys. Woo! I'm going to be continuing on with my KBShimmer collection. I had it all planned out that I would have all the new polishes from the recent Winter collection swatched and on the blog by Christmas, so you guys actually will get two indie posts this weekend! Fun, right?! 

*All swatches shown with one coat of HK Girl

Anywho, onto the nails!




sugar plum faerie, nails, nail art, nail polish, indie nail polish, indie polish, kbshimmer, hey darling polish, swatch, review, purple, glitter,

First up is Sugar Plum Faerie! This purpley, plum polish is filled with a bunch of different colored glitters including green, purple, and fuchsia ones. I'm showing you guys three coats of this polish plus topcoat.

sugar plum faerie, nails, nail art, nail polish, indie nail polish, indie polish, kbshimmer, hey darling polish, swatch, review, purple, glitter,

This polish is definitely more jelly like but builds up to opacity fairly easily. Do make sure that you wrap the tips of your nails though because I always find that jelly polishes pull away from the tips if I forget. Regardless, I think this is a really fun polish for the Holidays because the colors are so unexpected! Grab this one soon if you like because this is actually a re-release from 2012 that I think is only around for a limited time.

sugar plum faerie, nails, nail art, nail polish, indie nail polish, indie polish, kbshimmer, hey darling polish, swatch, review, purple, glitter,

Next up is Mauve On Over!

mauve on over, nails, nail art, nail polish, indie nail polish, indie polish, kbshimmer, hey darling polish, swatch, review, purple, glitter,

Mauve On Over is KBShimmer's nod to one of the 2014 Fall Pantone Colors, Mauve Mist. This glitter crelly took three coats to reach opacity and the mauve base is filled with orange, turquoise, and dark blue glitters.

mauve on over, nails, nail art, nail polish, indie nail polish, indie polish, kbshimmer, hey darling polish, swatch, review, purple, glitter,

These are the types of polishes that make me love KBShimmer. The formula was fantastic and had a great glitter payoff. I also really love the color combination and don't think I've seen another polish out there like this one. I've actually already worn this twice.....which that doesn't seem like a lot.....but for a blogger who changes her polish at least once a day, sometimes a few times a day, wearing a polish is twice is saying something haha!

mauve on over, nails, nail art, nail polish, indie nail polish, indie polish, kbshimmer, hey darling polish, swatch, review, purple, glitter,

And now we move onto the nail art that I did with these two!

sugar plum faerie, lines, stripes, white, freehand, nails, nail art, nail polish, indie nail polish, indie polish, kbshimmer, hey darling polish, nail art, review, purple, glitter,

Now, Sugar Plum Faerie already has a lot going on. There's so many glitters that I was scared that whatever I painted would compete too much with the polish. But I came across this pattern, which sadly is a bad link so I don't know who originally created it, and decided to try that out. I think it worked!

sugar plum faerie, lines, stripes, white, freehand, nails, nail art, nail polish, indie nail polish, indie polish, kbshimmer, hey darling polish, nail art, review, purple, glitter,

I started these nails with three coats of Sugar Plum Faerie and a layer of HK Girl. Then using my striping brush and white acrylic paint, I freehanded on the wavy lines. When the lines were done I went back in and added the little dots onto them. Everything was sealed in with a layer of HK Girl.

sugar plum faerie, lines, stripes, white, freehand, nails, nail art, nail polish, indie nail polish, indie polish, kbshimmer, hey darling polish, nail art, review, purple, glitter,

And finally, the nail art look that I did using Mauve On Over!

mauve on over, patchwork, lines, freehand, nails, nail art, nail polish, indie nail polish, indie polish, kbshimmer, hey darling polish, nail art, review, purple, glitter,

Okay, I really like this look. Like a lot! I also think that this is some of my thinnest line work to date (minus the middle finger because I forgot to clean my brush off...ugh) but still, I'm super stoked! I know these patchwork like manicures have been popular but I actually got my inspiration from this pattern by Johanna Tagada

mauve on over, patchwork, lines, freehand, nails, nail art, nail polish, indie nail polish, indie polish, kbshimmer, hey darling polish, nail art, review, purple, glitter,

These nails started with three coats of Mauve On Over and a layer of HK Girl. Then using my striping brush and black acrylic paint, I freehanded on the different lines creating triangles. I then went back in with different colors and the black paint to fill in and/or pattern the triangles but always making sure to leave some empty. You could go back and re-paint the black lines to clean them up a bit but I just stopped there with another layer of HK Girl.

mauve on over, patchwork, lines, freehand, nails, nail art, nail polish, indie nail polish, indie polish, kbshimmer, hey darling polish, nail art, review, purple, glitter,

Here are some macros:


Both of these polishes are available to be purchased in the KBShimmer store and retail for $8.75. There is still free shipping if you spend over $40 and you get a free bottle of Holly Back Girl (reviewed here) with orders over $70 (add a bottle of HBG to your cart and use code HBGFREE.) Here are some of the links:


Thanks for reading guys!

-Marisa! (:












29 comments:

  1. These two purples are pretty! I like them both equally. For the nail art, I'm in love with the last one a lot. Its so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty on you! Sugar Plum Faerie is one of my favorite KBShimmers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the pop of green in sugar plum fairy

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous polishes - and I love all the art you did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how Mauve on Over looks on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mauve on over! It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of how much I love Sugar Plum Fairie - I need to wear it!! And the nail art manis are fantastic, especially the patchwork pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both pretty and girly! Lovely nail arts <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love! Both the swatches and the art. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww I LOVE both the nail art you did on these! The polishes are pretty too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love your art, especially how well the design/colors you chose work with Mauve On Over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the nail art, great thin lines!

    ReplyDelete